I know it’s a little early for Valentines crafts but I wanted to post this now so you have time to make them this year if you want!
I will start by saying I did not take pictures while making these because the project was divided by several weeks working a tiny bit at a time. With my kiddos unraveling my yarn as I went and me hiding in the bathroom to finish! SO I am going to do my best to give you a good step by step with the pics that I do have.
I had seen these a few years ago in Pottery Barn Kids, but just could not justify myself spending the $27 a piece on something we would only use a few days out of the year. So I set out to make my own version. I spent less than $20 on all 4 when it was all said and done and I picked up everything I needed at Hobby Lobby, man I love that store! Ok so let’s get to the DIY:
Here is what you will need to make 1 chair backer:
- 3 red sheets of felt (for front, back, flap, and straps)
- 2 sheets of cream or white felt for the heart and ruffles
- 1 roll of red yarn and 1 role of cream yarn
- 1 large sewing needle (it needs to be able to thread the yarn & push through the felt)
- Letter tiles of your choice (I got mine at Hobby Lobby in the wood section)
- 1 button
- A pair of good scissors, a hot glue gun and glue, a ruler and a pencil
First Cut out all your sections (for all these I drew on the felt with a pencil and used the ruler if I needed a straight edge and then just cut them out:
- Leave the back panel as is
- Cut about 1/8 inch strip off of the top of the front panel across the top (so that there is room after you glue the top flap onto the back piece to get into the bag)
- From the third panel cut a triangle out for the top flap (so cut from one corner to the other corner long ways making a triangle) and then cut 2 strips (long ways) for the 2 straps (you can make those whatever thickness and length you need for your chair)
- From 1 of the cream felt pieces cut your long bottom side scalloped edge and your heart
- From the other cut your 2 shorter side scalloped edges
- Once you have done all your cutting here is what you should have: 1 plain back piece, 1 front piece that is slightly shorter than the back, 1 triangle flap, 2 scalloped side pieces, 1 scalloped bottom piece, 2 red strap pieces, 1 heart piece.
Next hand stitch your pieces around the edge for decoration. You could do as much or little of the stitching that you want. And glue your heart onto your front flap.
Then stitch your button onto the back piece of felt at the middle top
Next add your name to the front using your letter tiles. (Mine had holes so I stitched each letter on with the yarn. But if you don’t have holes just hot glue any kind of letter on the front to make your name.
Then hot glue everything together:
- First hot glue the scalloped edge pieces to the front of your back piece
- Then glue the bottom of the straps to the front of your back piece
- Then glue the front piece onto everything around the sides and bottom only
- Then glue your front flap on – gluing it at the top only so it can open at the bottom
Last hang your bag on your chair to figure out how you want the bag to hang. Once you have the right height you can cut little slits about 1/2 the size of your button on each strap.
Then hang it up on your chair and your ready for a valentine exchange or to fill it up with goodies on valentines morning!
Never mind the crumbs all over my floor!
I hope this tutorial was helpful. It really is a fairly simple project, just lots of pieces and steps. I would love to see your creations if you make one, so be sure to take a photo then come back and link it up!
Happy Valentines Day Everyone!
linking up here